Following the surfacing of evidence last weekend that Alcatel One Touch was preparing a revival of the Palm brand after a purchase of the intellectual property from HP, the parent company in TCL Communications has confirmed plans to revive the brand through a crowd sourcing effort involving the wider tech community and the re-establishment of Palm Inc. as “New Palm Inc.” with the following resources:
- R&D with 5000 engineers across 7 R&D centers around the globe
- A modern and efficient mobile device manufacturing facility
- A top level quality record recognized by the global tier 1 carriers and retailers around the world
- A supply chain ready for the flexibility required by the market today
- A global network serving more than 170 countries and the most demanding customers of the industry with local Sales, Marketing and Technical teams
More specific details on the project will be revealed in the future, though TCL has already confirmed that webOS will not be a part of the Palm revival, as those assets were sold off to LG last year and the remaining infrastructure was shutdown by HP. The company has also confirmed plans to keep use of the Alcatel One Touch brand in the US alongside the revived Palm brand for new US releases in the future.