AT&T has become the first US carrier to announce pricing and launch details for its variant of the forthcoming Galaxy S5 Android flagship smartphone. The phone features an array of subtle improvements to hardware and software in order to scale back and refine both from previous efforts, many of which were duplicating functionality already provided in some form by Google.
Pre-orders for the device begin tomorrow Friday, March 21 with the Galaxy S5 set at $199.99 with a new 2-year contract or starting at $25 per month with an AT&T Next plan. The full retail price for the phone will be set at $649.99, which is $30 less than last year’s full retail price for the S4 and AT&T has reiterated that the phone will begin shipping in early April, along with every other US carrier launch.
AT&T has also announced the forthcoming availability of the Tizen-based Samsung Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo, and Gear Fit wearable devices. The Gear 2 will cost $299, while the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit will cost $199 each. Pre-orders for the smartwatch line also start March 21 and they will ship in early April before the release of the S5. AT&T is also offering a $50 discount off of the price of a Gear 2 or Gear 2 Neo when purchased together with the Galaxy S5 making either $249 and $149, respectively. Below, the technical specifications for the phone:
Galaxy S 5 Key Features
- Colors: Charcoal Black and Shimmery White
- Display: Brilliant 5.1-inch Full HD Super AMOLED® display, wide viewing angles and Multi Window capability
- Memory: 2 GB RAM and 16 GBs internal storage3 with microSD support up to 128GB
- 50GB free storage: Available with AT&T Locker for AT&T Mobile Share Value customers
- Camera: 16 megapixel rear facing camera with Phase Detection Auto Focus for ultra-fast focus times to never miss a moment
- Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat
- Processor: 2.5 GHz quad core
- Battery: 2,800 mAh
- Size: 72.5 x 142 x 8.1mm
- Weight: 145g
- Security: Built-in fingerprint sensor unlocks and locks to provide secure password protection
- S Health™4: Newly integrated platform lets you track nutrition, fitness and wellness, and includes the world’s first Heart Rate Sensor integrated into a smartphone