Multiple readers have confirmed that MP3 support can be turned back on after the LG VX-8100 has been updated with VCast Music Support, and now, we have a guide to step you through it.
Note: This may void your warranty. It is highly unlikely that it will, but it does involve accessing service menus, and clearly accessing portions of the firmware Verizon did not intend to be accessed. We really raise this caution to show that you have to hack your phone in order to turn MP3 support back on, however, please use caution to only change the items mentioned in this guide.
1) Ensure that your phone has firmware version V06 on the device. Earlier versions do not need this guide and this guide has not been tested with firmwares that have not yet been released.
2) Enter the menu and press 0. You will then be prompted for a service code, which on Verizon phones should be 000000.
3) Scroll down to the last menu option which should be “Music Setting”, at which point, you can select the MP3 function which will restore MP3 support. Chose this then exit out of the menu.
4) At this point MP3 playback will be available under Tunes and Tones (again).
5) To switch the dedicated music playback buttons to the MP3 player from the VCast music player, go to Tools, then Shortcut Key, and chose the MP3 Player instead of VCast Music.
This does not work, or at least, has not been reported to work on the Samsung SCH-A950…