HP has released the latest maintenance update for the HP TouchPad following last month’s conformation that it would open source webOS and subsequent confirmation of the update and adds the following features and fixes:
- Faster switching between Day, Week, and Month views, and faster event display in Calendar.
- Faster scrolling when reading an email message.
- Email attachments are now saved with draft messages.
- Added sender photos and IM presence indicators in Email.
- Improved stability when watching video in the Web app.
- Improved handling of MP3s that are transferred from a computer using USB Drive mode.
- Added a dedicated view of contacts available for a video call, for quicker setup of a video call.
- New alert when video quality might be lower because of network issues.
- When typing, pressing the space bar twice inserts a period. This can be toggled on and off.
- Auto-correction can be turned off directly from the onscreen keyboard.
- Added support for HTTP Live Streaming.
HP also mentioned in the companion blogpost that webOS 2.2.4 has also been rolled out for the unlocked Pre 2 and AT&T/Verizon versions, as well as unlocked Pre 3s. For Pre 2, this improves Skype voice calling and messaging and MAP support for Bluetooth while all devices get improvements to the Messaging, Calendar, and Contacts apps. With the latest update, HP is making a solid effort to maintain existing hardware updated while the platform slowly transitions to an open source project.