Motorola and NII Holdings have officially announced the US release for its first smartphone app, and it takes Motorola’s push to talk expertise and condenses it into a premium push to talk service that works over cellular or Wi-Fi connections regardless of carrier.
Called “PRIP” (so called for the inclusion of its distinctive chirp made famous by the former Nextel iDEN series of phones), the app features unlimited push to talk access for $7.99/month as well as contact management and is cross compatible between Prip users and users with active Nextel equipment in Latin America, as NII Holdings and Motorola collaborated on development.
• Talk to millions of Nextel Mexico, Nextel Brazil, Nextel Peru, Nextel Argentina and Nextel Chile users
• When you are outside the U.S., you can use Prip over Wi-Fi to stay connected
• Instantly hold conversations with one contact or groups
• Send alerts to contacts when you need to talk with them immediately
• Use any data connection, including WiFi, 3G, or 4G
• Intuitive Interface
• Automatically imports your contacts
• No ads
• Guaranteed talk. Before you start talking, you know they’re listening.
The app is currently available on Google Play for Android 2.3 and higher, while Motorola has confirmed an iOS version for a future launch later this year. For a limited time, new users that download and activate the app will receive a free month of service to try Prip for themselves before committing to monthly access.