Sprint has announced in a press release that the Nexus S 4G update originally scheduled for July 11th will now be rescheduled for Monday July 25th, with the rollout duration totaling three weeks.
As previously reported, the update will enable the NFC hardware to be secured, allowing for the reading and writing of sensitive purchase information with encryption thus allowing for the launch of Google Wallet services.
The update will also include widgets for 4G status, enabling TTY support for deaf/hard of hearing users, push support for PRL and hardware settings, improved Wi-Fi, speakerphone audio, 4G data throughput and signal strength indicators. The update will be pushed with the software version of GRJ90.
Nexus S 4G Software Update Roll Out Begins on July 25, Boosts Data Speeds
Nexus Sâ„¢ 4G is getting a software update designed to improve 4G data speeds for users and provide several other updates. The release will begin rolling out to Nexus S 4G handsets on Monday, July 25. All users should receive the update in the next three weeks.
In Sprintâ€™s preproduction testing, Nexus S 4G showed excellent performance. After receiving feedback from a small number of our customers, we conducted a secondary analysis of its performance with our partners at Google and Samsung and were able to identify some ways we could boost performance on Nexus S 4G.
These enhancements should increase 4G data speeds and signal strength for users. The software update also improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing.
â€œNexus S 4G continues to be a highly sought after smartphone and performs very well for our customers. We are excited to make additional enhancements that will provide an even better user experienceâ€ said Fared Adib, vice president – Product Development, Sprint. â€œWeâ€™re committed to listening to our customersâ€™ feedback and working with our partners to provide the best possible customer experience.â€
Manufactured by Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile), a leading global mobile phone provider and the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the United States, Nexus S 4G is the only Nexus S phone with 4G and provides a pure Google experience with Androidâ„¢ 2.3, Gingerbread, the fastest version of Android available for smartphones.
Additional key features include:
– 1GHz Samsung application processor that produces rich 3D-like graphics, faster upload and download times and supports HD-like multimedia content
– Dedicated Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) to make playing mobile games, browsing the Web and watching videos a fast, fluid and smooth experience
– AMOLEDâ„¢ touchscreen technology on a 4-inch Contour Display
– 5 megapixel rear-facing camera and camcorder and front-facing VGA camera.
– Gyroscope sensor to provide a smooth gaming experience when the user tilts the device up or down or pans the phone to the left or right
– 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, supporting up to six Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously
– Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips