Following up on the Motorola Droid OTA update rollout, Verizon has announced the staging and subsequent rollout of the expected general maintenance update for the HTC Droid Eris which began last night.
The 1.16.605.1 update features fixes for SMS/MMS compatibility with other devices; improvements to on-screen mute and speakerphone keys quicker call end with two presses of the end key; improved activation; and several other bug fixes.
In related news, a manual update workflow for the Motorola DROID has surfaced. In order to perform the update manually, these steps must be followed to the letter:
- Download this update file
- Rename the file to update.zip and place it in the root directory of the microSD card
- Power off the phone
- Power on the phone while holding the â€˜Xâ€™ key on the physical keyboard to enter recovery mode
- When the triangle with the exclamation point appears, press the volume up key and camera button key down half way
- Navigate to â€œapply update.zipâ€ and press the gold center button on the keyboard to select it. It will start the update process
- Reboot the phone after itâ€™s finished.