US-based distributor BLU Products has become the first local distributor to announce a low-cost unlocked Android smartphone with LTE support. The BLU Studio 5.0 LTE features the following specifications:
- Network: (GSM/GPRS/EDGE) 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, (4G HSPA+ 42Mbps) 850/1700/1900/2100, (4G LTE) 1700/2600
- Display: 5.0-inch IPS 540 x 960 qHD resolution with capacitive touchscreen
- Processor: Qualcomm 8926 Snapdragon 400, 1.4 GHz Quad-Core with Adreno 305 graphics GPU
- OS: Android 4.2.2 Jellybean upgradable to 4.4 Kit Kat
- Camera: Rear – 8.0 megapixel autofocus with LED Flash, (1.4µm pixel size, 1/3.2 inch sensor, 4.4mm aperture), HD 1080p@30fps video recording Front – 1.6 megapixel
- Connectivity: WiFi a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, Bluetooth v4.0, Hotspot, micro-USB, FM Radio
- Memory: 1GB RAM, 4GB internal memory + microSD slot expandable up to 64GB
- Dimensions: 145.9 x 72.5 x 9 mm
- Battery: Li-Ion 2000mAh
As can be seen in the specifications, the phone supports T-Mobile LTE and is being touted by Blu Products as the perfect phone to be used on T-Mobile prepaid and T-Mobile powered MVNOs with LTE support such as MetroPCS and Simple Mobile as well as Straight Talk. The phone will be sold online through Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart.
This phone is also the first phone from Blu Products to feature a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, as the entirety of its current smartphone lineup is powered by various MediaTek chipsets and is sourced from various little-known Chinese vendors, which explains their below average pricing while still including flagship level features. The phone will be available at the end of May for $249.99 in Neon-Yellow, Fashion-Orange, Glimmer-Pink and Ceramic-White, shown above.