Symbian^3 specifications have been confirmed during MWC after the initial announcement last month.
- HDMI output is supported up to 1080p , the music store is now embedded within the radio and will allow identification of a song and additional information searches along with the addition of a purchase button, which links with a chosen music store.
- More efficient memory management due to what the Foundation calls Writeable Data Paging allows more applications to run in parallel for improved multi-tasking with a focus on mid-range hardware.
- New 2D and 3D graphics architecture takes full advantage of the hardware acceleration available with OpenGL ES, the new architecture is suited for games without slowing the phone down.
- One-click connectivity for all applications and new global settings allow the user to configure platform-wide behavior, ensuring the device automatically switches from cellular to WLAN when a free WLAN network is available as an example.
- Usability enhancements across the user interface include a direct â€œsingle tapâ€ interaction model, making it easier to complete common tasks on a device. Multi-touch support for gestures such as â€œpinch-to-zoomâ€ forms a gesture framework that can be extended by developers.
- The Homescreen now supports multiple pages of widgets and a simple flick gesture to move between them, with the widget manager now supporting multiple instances of a native widget allowing multiple weather forecasts, news feeds, social networking accounts or multiple email accounts simultaneously.